Juvenile Monitoring & Sampling
Cohort Juvenile Monitoring
Cohort Juvenile Monitoring at Sacramento River rotary screw traps, beach seines, and trawls with Red Bluff Estimates
updated: Tuesday, 24-May-2022 15:16:02 PDT
Juvenile Salmonid Monitoring
Unmarked Older Chinook, Fry/Smolt Chinook, and Steelhead at
Sacramento River (Red Bluff, Tisdale),
Lower Sacramento River (Knights Landing, Sacramento Trawls, Chipps Island) and
San Joaquin (Mossdale) with associated Water Temperature, Flow and Turbidity
Unmarked Winter Chinook, Spring, Fall, LateFall, and Steelhead at
Sacramento River (Red Bluff) and
Lower Sacramento River (Knights Landing, Sacramento Trawls, Chipps Island) monitoring locations
updated: Tuesday, 24-May-2022 08:49:08 PDT
Red Bluff Daily Table
Red Bluff Juvenile Daily Estimates Table Query with Biweekly Totals
Red Bluff Daily Graph
Red Bluff Daily Graph with Biweekly Estimated Totals, Fork Length, Flow, Turbidity, Water Temperature (C), or Water Temperature (F)
updated: Tuesday, 24-May-2022 15:16:01 PDT
Migration Timing and Conditions
Migration Timing & Conditions at Red Bluff, Sacramento River rotary screw traps, beach seines, and trawls with Cumulative Passage, Migration Timing Characteristics, Temperature and Flow Exposure
updated: Tuesday, 24-May-2022 15:16:00 PDT
Data Set Notes:
- Red Bluff Diversion Dam: Data Courtesy of USFWS, Red Bluff Fish & Wildlife Office. Updates made publicly available biweekly.
- USFWS Data Note from Primary Source PDFs:
"Preliminary estimates of passage by brood-year (BY) and run for unmarked juvenile Chinook salmon and steelhead trout captured by rotary-screw traps at Red Bluff Diversion Dam (RK391), Sacramento River, CA."
"Biweekly totals may be greater than the sum of the daily estimates presented in this table if sampling was not conducted on each day of the biweekly period. A dash (-) denotes those dates. To estimate daily passage for days that were not sampled, we impute missed sample days with the weekly mean value of days sampled within the week."
October 1, 2013 - October 17, 2013: Winter run passage value interpolated using a monthly mean for the period due to government shutdown.
- Current data extraction process from primary source (USFWS distributed PDFs) does not capture published values for Biweekly Total. Columbia Basin Research (CBR) calculates the value from the published values for Lower and Upper 90% CI. The CBR calculated value for Biweekly Total is not rounded.
- Starting in October 2017, USFWS employs genetic reassignment and efficiency trial adjustments to revise race codes from Length-at-Date. The original and revised data is
available from USFWS Red Bluff Diversion Dam - Juvenile Salmonid Monitoring.
- The data for 10/8/2017-3/25/2018 was revised by USFWS after initial public distribution. Winter and spring run Chinook passage values have been updated to reflect run identification corrections based on genetic evaluations. Reports produced after March 25, 2018 incorporate corrected values. See Genetic Reassignment Memo dated April 10, 2018 for more details. https://www.fws.gov/redbluff/RBDD%20JSM%20Biweekly/2018/Genetic_Reassignment_Memo_041018.pdf
- Following additional genetic evaluations and information obtained from conducting efficiency trials in the fall of 2018, further revisions have been made to reports containing passage data from September 1, 2018 through December 31, 2018. See Genetic Reassignment and Efficiency Adjustment Memo dated January 16, 2019. https://www.fws.gov/redbluff/RBDD%20JSM%20Biweekly/2018/Genetic_Reassignment_and_Efficiency_Adjustment_Memo_011619.pdf
- BY2019 spring and winter data was revised based upon genetic analyses. Similar to the previous two years, length-at-date spring Chinook from 10/16-11/18 were determined to be winter Chinook and estimates were revised for the affected biweekly report periods (10/8/2019-12/31/2019). Also, reports covering 8/13/19 thru 11/4/19 were revised based upon trap efficiency modeling. See Genetic Reassignment and Efficiency Adjustment Memo dated January 16, 2020. https://www.fws.gov/redbluff/RBDD%20JSM%20Biweekly/2019/Genetic_Reassignment_and_Efficiency_Adjustment_Memo_011620.pdf
- March 25-June 30, 2020. The rotary-trapping/juvenile fish monitoring operations at the Red Bluff Diversion Dam were suspended to protect employee health and safety resulting from the Coronavirus/COVID-19 global pandemic.
- Sacramento Trawls, Sacramento Beach Seines, Chipps Island Trawls, and Mossdale Trawls: Data Courtesy of USFWS, Lodi and EDI Data Portal. Updates made publicly available approximately every week.
- 20 March 2020: Sampling at Sacramento Beach Seines and Mossdale Trawls concluded early for water year 2020; sampling at the sites deemed "non-essential" during COVID-19 response.
- 2 March 2017: The method to calculate the number of samples/tows for Chipps Island was corrected.
- 16 February 2017: An oversight related to the inclusion of marked fish in the reporting of "unmarked" fish was addressed.
- Water Temperature and Flow associated with juvenile monitoring locations: Bend Bridge (BND), Colousa (COL), Wilkins Slough (WLK), Hood (SRH), Freeport (FPT), and Vernalis (VNS) are courtesty of CDEC. Data loaded daily.
- The Knights Landing RST and Tisdale Weir RST: Data Courtesy of CDFW via StreamNet. Updates made publicly available several times a week.
Out of date: Primary source data made available to SacPAS does not include the specificity needed to apply the Frank Fisher length-at-date model to categorize Chinook into "older" and "fry/smolt". Alternative criteria are applied to categorize run-identified Chinook:
- "older" juvenile: 8/1-10/31 sum of winter and spring, 11/1-7/31 winter only
- "fry/smolt" juvenile: 8/1-10/31 fall only, 11/1-7/31 sum of late-fall, fall and spring runs.
- Frank Fisher length-at-date models for Sacramento River and modified for Delta surveys provided to SacPAS as a courtesy by DWR.
Latest Monitoring Dates in SacPAS Database:
- Red Bluff Diversion Dam RST: 2022-05-20
- Tisdale Weir RST: 2022-05-13
- Knights Landing RST: 2022-05-16
- Sacramento Trawls (@ Sherwood Harbor): 2022-05-20
- Sacramento Beach Seines: 2022-05-19
- Chipps Island Trawls: 2022-05-20
- Mossdale Trawls: 2022-05-16
- Enhanced Delta Smelt Monitoring: 2022-05-16
- SWP & CVP Non-Clipped Older Juvenile Chinook Loss: 2022-04-27
- SWP & CVP Non-Clipped Fry/Smolt Chinook Loss: 2022-05-23
- SWP & CVP Non-Clipped Steelhead Loss: 2022-05-22
- SWP & CVP Clipped Loss: 2022-05-22
- SWP & CVP Exports: 2022-05-23
SacPAS: Central Valley Prediction & Assessment of Salmon, University of Washington, Columbia Basin Research,
Tuesday, 10-May-2022 11:19:29 PDT